About The Practice
Dr. Obagi’s academic commitments include serving as the director of dermatologic surgery for the residents in the department of dermatology at UPMC as well as the director of the cosmetic dermatologic surgery fellowship. In addition, Dr. Obagi trains physicians from around the world on the latest in cosmetic and laser surgery.
Dr. Obagi has been quoted extensively in print publications including USA Today, Elle,Woman’s World, CNN.com, The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. She has also appeared on ABC, KDKA-TV, WTAE-TV and WPXI-TV. She was also cited by theNew York Times Style Magazine as one of the top cosmetic surgeons in the United States.
Dr. Obagi has written many articles and book chapters on skin health restoration, autologous fat augmentation (fat transfer), Botox and soft tissue fillers, chemical peeling, dermabrasion, and lasers. Additionally, Dr. Obagi has been invited to give lectures to various medical specialists including ophthalmologic surgeons, facial plastic surgeons, cosmetic surgeons, oral and maxillofacial surgeons and dermatological surgeons on many of these topics.
While Dr. Obagi’s emphasis is on the scientific approach to skin health restoration, she continues to be abreast of the latest technologic advances in cosmetic surgery including the use of the latest laser and radio-frequency technologies.
Her research interests include ways to improve adipocyte (fat) survival after transplantation to further enhance the results of autologous fat augmentation surgery. In addition, she has done research on patient safety in skin resurfacing, laser treatment for improving Raynaud’s phenomenon, and ultrasound measurement of long-term fat graft survival after transplantation.
Dr. Obagi is currently the secretary of the board of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery. She formerly served as vice president of the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery and is a past president of the Cosmetic Surgery Foundation.
After receiving her medical degree from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Dr. Obagi completed a medical internship at the University of California-Irvine and her dermatology residency at Pitt. She also did a cosmetic surgery fellowship approved by the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery at Pitt. Dr. Obagi received bachelor of arts and bachelor of science degrees from the University of California-San Diego.
Chemical Peels & Blue Peels
Cosmetic Mole Removal
Botox & Dysport
Welcome to the UPMC Cosmetic Surgery and Skin Health Center. We are a distinctive practice that combines the resources of a world-class medical center with the pampering services of a luxury spa.
The UPMC Cosmetic Surgery and Skin Health Center’s team of licensed, certified medical and aesthetic professionals focuses on treatment for people of all ages, with expertise spanning both dermatologic and cosmetic surgery. Director Suzan Obagi, MD, is associate professor of dermatology and plastic surgery at the University of Pittsburgh, and she trains physicians from around the world on the latest in cosmetic and laser surgery.
Like the many phases of your life, your skin changes over time. Sun, lifestyle behaviors, and even stress can make your skin feel rough, tired, and lifeless.
We will get to know you and your lifestyle, as well as your cosmetic and skin care history and goals. We then will make recommendations based upon your individual needs and desires.
We look forward to developing a long-term relationship with you that we hope will continue through all of the phases of your life.
As one of the first academically-based skin health centers in the nation, the UPMC Cosmetic Surgery and Skin Health Center gives patients access to state-of-the-art technology, the latest research, and an unparalleled commitment to patient safety and quality outcomes.
Our commitment to providing safe and quality care is demonstrated by our accreditation by The Joint Commission for Office-Based Surgery. This accreditation means we have agreed to have our care monitored, evaluated and measured on an ongoing basis, and consistently make an effort to improve all aspects of our care and service.
We offer a broad range of cosmetic surgery and skin care services including traditional aesthetic services, such as chemical peels and facials; non-invasive cosmetic procedures, such as BOTOX® and dermal fillers; ablative and non-ablativelaser procedures; and minimally invasive cosmetic surgery procedures.
Dermatologic Cosmetic Surgery - 2006
- Associate Professor of Dermatology University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- Associate Professor of Plastic Surgery University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Provost’s Honors 1990
Provost’s Honors 1991
Outstanding Teaching Award 1992 Univ. of California, San Diego, Organic Chemistry
Bernhard A. Goldmann Prize for Dermatology 1996
Intern of the Year 1997
Best Scholarly Article- “Isotretinoin Use During Chemical Skin 2002
Resurfacing: A Review of Complications”
American Journal of Cosmetic Surgery
Best Abstract Presentation- “Autologous Fat Augmentation to 2006
Correct the Sequelae of Facial Cosmetic Surgery
Richard Webster Award in Cosmetic Surgery 2016
- Chabra I, Obagi S. Evaluation and Management of Multiple Miliary Osteoma Cutis: Case Series of Eleven Patients and Literature Review. Dermatol Surg. 2014 Jan;40(1):66-8
- Obagi S. Fillers: Past, Present, and Future. Cosmetic Dermatology. 2013 26(5):4 – 5
- Surin-Lord S, Obagi S. Scleroderma and Raynaud’s Phenomenon Improve with High-Peak Power Laser Therapy: A Case Report. Dermatol Surg Volume 37, Issue 10, October 2011, Pages 1531-1535
- Obagi S. Ten Years in Academic Dermatology. Cosmetic Dermatology Jan 2011; 24(1): 11-12.
- Chabra I, Obagi S. Severe Site Reaction After Injecting Hyaluronic Acid-Based Soft Tissue Filler. Cosmetic Dermatology Jan 2011; 24(1):14-21.
- Safo P, Whalgren C, Obagi S. Safety of Storing and Reusing Hyaluronic Acid Fillers: A Retrospective Chart Review. Cosmetic Dermatology Jan 2011; 24(1):22-26.
- Kranendonk S, Obagi S. An Algorithmic Approach to Hypertrophic Scars and Keloids: Maximizing Nonsurgical Options. Cosmetic Dermatology Jan 2011; 24(1):28-39.
- Desai N, Obagi S. Treatment of Epidermal Hamartomas: Review and Description of Treatment With Electrodessication and Combination Laser Therapy. Cosmetic Dermatology Jan 2011; 24(1): 40-47.
- Khetarpal S, Molenda M, Seiger E, Pui J, Obagi S. Blue Foot: A Second Case of “Tattoo Blow-Out” Pigment Spread Successfully Treated With the Qs-Nd:YAG Laser. J Drugs Dermatol 2010 Nov; 9(11):1429-31.
- Zhang AY, Obagi S. Diagnosis and Management of Skin Resurfacing-related Complications. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. Feb. 2009; 21(1):1-12, v.
- Obagi S. Specific Techniques for Fat Transfer. Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am. Nov. 2008; 16(4):401-7.
- Ciucci P, Obagi S. Rejuvenation of the Periorbital Complex with Autologous Fat Transfer. Oral Maxillofac Surg Aug. 2008; 66(8):1686-93.
- Molenda MA, Gehris RP, Jukic DM, Obagi S. Blue Foot: An Unusual Complication of Tattoo and Successful Treatment with a QS-Nd:YAG Laser. Dermatol Surg. Jul. 2008; 34(7):947-9.
- Obagi S. Guest Editorial: Time to Regain Our Credibility and to be Proactive. Cosmetic Dermatology Oct. 2007; 20(10): 624-625.
- Casey A, Obagi S. Vascular Malformation of the Tongue Treated with Transmucosal Nd:YAG Laser. Cosmetic Dermatology Oct. 2007; 20(10): 650-652.
- Paley K, Obagi S. Temporal Brow-lift With Botulinum Toxin Type A: Review of Existing Methods and Description of an Easy and Reliable Method to Achieve a Lateral Temporal Brow-lift. Cosmetic Dermatology Oct. 2007; 20(10): 655-658.
- Spencer L, Obagi S. Cosmetic Dermatologic Skin Care: The Essence of Our Training. Cosmetic Dermatology Oct. 2007; 20(10): 663-669.
- Obagi S. Autologous Fat Augmentation: A Perfect Fit in New and Emerging Technologies.
Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am. 2007 May;15(2):221-8, vii.
- Kranendonk SK, Obagi S. Autologous Fat Transfer for Periorbital Rejuvenation: Indications, Technique, and Complications. Dermatol Surg. 2007 May;33(5):572-8.
- Vujevich J, Obagi S. Repair of Partial Earlobe Cleft Using a “Purse String Repair”. Dermatol Surg. 2006 Jul;32(7):969-71.
- Rose JG Jr, Lucarelli MJ, Lemke BN, Dortzbach RK, Boxrud CA, Obagi S, Patel S. Histologic comparison of autologous fat processing methods. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006 May-Jun;22(3):195-200.
- Obagi S. Why Does Skin Wrinkle with Age? How can you slow or prevent this process?
Sci Am. 2006 Jan;294(1):100.
- Kranendonk SK, Ferris LK, Obagi S. Re: Botulinum toxin for the treatment of facial flushing. Dermatol Surg. 2005 Apr;31(4):491; author reply 492.
- Obagi S. Autologous Fat Augmentation for Addressing Facial Volume Loss. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinics of North America 17 (1), pp. 99-109.
- Fulchiero GJ, Parham-Vetter PC, Obagi S. Subcision and CoolTouch Non-Ablative Laser Resurfacing for the Treatment of Acne Scars: A Single Patient Split Face Trial. Dermatol Surg. 2004 Oct;30(10):1356-59; discussion 1360.
- Obagi, S. Correction of Surface Skin Deformities: Botox, Fillers, Lasers & Non-Laser Light Sources. Atlas Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2004 Sep;12(2):271-97.
- Obagi S, Rolewski S. Approach to the Rosacea Patient: Rethinking the Role of Tretinoin in the Management of Rosacea. Cosmetic Dermatology August 2004; 17(8): 505-511.
- Obagi, S. Guest Editorial: Academically Based Cosmetic Surgery. Cosmetic Dermatology June 2004; 17(6): 337-340.
- Obagi, Z, Obagi, S. Pearls for Successful Chemical Peeling. Cosmetic Dermatology June 2004; 17(6): 363-371.
- Tomar, S, Obagi, S. Autologous Fat Augmentation: Results of a Patient Satisfaction Survey. Cosmetic Dermatology June 2004; 17(6): 343-349.
- ObagiS. Pre- and Postlaser Skin Care. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinics of North America – May 2004; 16(2): 181-187.
- Obagi S. Autologous Fat Augmentation and Periorbital Laser Resurfacing Complicated by Abscess Formation. American Journal of Cosmetic Surgery 2003; 20 (3): 155-157.
- Obagi S. Obagi Z, Bridenstine JB. Isotretinoin Use During Chemical Skin Resurfacing: A Review of Complications. American Journal of Cosmetic Surgery 2002 Jan; 19(1): 9-13.
- Hendi A, Obagi S. HIV-associated lipodystrophy. eMedicine Journal, March 28 2002, Volume 3, Number
- Obagi S, Bridenstine JB. Skin Resurfacing. OMS Knowledge Update 2001.
- Obagi S, Bridenstine JB. Chemical Skin Resurfacing. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinics of North America. 2000 Nov;12(4): 541-553.
- Obagi S, Bridenstine JB. Lifetime Skin Care. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinics of North America. 2000 Nov;12(4): 531-540.
- Obagi ZE, Alaiti S, Obagi S, Stevens MB, Delune ME. Standardizing the evaluation of treatment outcomes after skin rejuvenation: the qualitative scoring system. Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2000 May-Jun;24(3):165-70.
- Obagi S, Derubertis F, Brown L, Deng JS. Hypercalcemia and parathyroid hormone related protein expression in cutaneous T-cell lymphoma. Int J Dermatol. 1999 Nov;38(11):855-62.
- Obagi Z, Obagi S, Alaiti S, Stevens M. TCA-Based Blue Peel: A Standardized Procedure with Depth Control. Dermatol Surg 1999 Oct;25(10):773-780.
- Gabbai FB, De Nicola L, Peterson OW, Obagi S, et al. Renal response to blood pressure elevation in normal and glomerulonephritic rats. J Am Soc Nephrol 1996 Dec;7(12): 2590-2599.
- De Nicola L, Peterson OW, Obagi S, Gabbai FB, et al. Renal functional reserve in experimental chronic glomerulonephritis. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation 1994; 9: 1383-1389.
- Obagi S. Chemical Peels. Textbook- Plastic Surgery. Editor Rubin JP, Neligan P.
- Obagi S, Gandhi R. Skin Rejuvenation. Textbook- Booth: Maxillofacial Surgery. Editor Ghali, G. (in press)
- Obagi S. Lifetime SkinCare. Textbook- Cosmetic Facial Surgery 2nd Editor Niamtu J.
- Obagi S. Chemical Peels. Textbook- Editor Niamtu J.
1) Poulos G, Obagi S. The Use of Soft Tissue Fillers for Facial Rejuvenation- An Anatomic Algorithm. Textbook- Facial Cosmetic Procedures: Minimally Invasive Techniques. Editors: Fedok F, Carniol P.: (2013) Chapter 16
2) Obagi S, Kranendonk S. Skin Rejuvenation. Textbook- Cosmesis of the Face & Jaw. Editor: Guttenberg, S.: (2013) Chapter 10
3) Obagi S. Proprietary Peels. Textbook- Chemical Peels 2nd edition. Editors: Rubin M, Tung R.: (2011) 109-116.
4) Obagi S. Chemical Peels and Microdermabrasion. Textbook- Office Based Cosmetic Surgery Procedures. Editor: Eremia S.: (2010) 333-347
5) Vejjabhinanta V, Baumann L, Obagi S, Singh A. Fat and Subcutaneous Tissue. Cosmetic Dermatology- Principles and Practice. 2nd Edition. Editor: Baumann L.: (2009) 14-21
6) Obagi S, Casey A. Algorithm for Facial Scar Revision. Cosmetic Dermatology- Principles and Practice. 2nd Edition Editor: Baumann L.: (2009) 227-236
7) Obagi, S, Chaudhary-Patel M. Overview of Skin Resurfacing Modalities. Essentials in Ophthalmology: Oculoplastics and Orbit. Editors: Guthoff RF, Katowitz JA.: (2007) 259-275.