About The Practice
Akkary Surgery Center has been serving patients in Morgantown, West Virginia, since 2008, but its more than its decade-long history that sets Dr. Ehab Akkarys practice apart. From its inception, the center has been breaking new ground in Cosmetic and Bariatric treatments while simultaneously establishing innovative standards in personalized patient care.
Unlike other practices, Akkary Surgery Center offers a rare combination of General Surgery using Advanced Laparoscopic Techniques, Weight Loss Bariatric Surgery and Cosmetic Surgery all under one convenient roof. As Dr. Akkary explains, We were the first to do quite a few things in West Virginia. In fact, he started his practice at an academic institution followed by a community hospital where he and his team were able to achieve the sought-after designation of Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence at both hospitals. Dr. Akkarys was also the first practice in Central West Virginia to offer gastric balloon procedures.
Given his diverse background, the breadth of his practice should not be surprising. Dr. Akkary completed his General Surgery Residency training in Michigan and then completed two Fellowship training programs: Bariatrics Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery at Yale University, New Haven, CT, and Cosmetic Surgery at Shumway Cosmetic Surgery Institute, San Diego, CA. Always pursuing innovations that benefit his patients, Dr. Akkary continues to expand his credentials, pursuing Board certification in cosmetic surgery to add to his current Board certification in General Surgery while also pursing AAAHC certification.
Dr. Akkary performs General Surgery such as Hernia; Hiatal Hernia; Nissen Fundoplication; Gall Bladder Surgery; Splenctomy; Stomach, Colon and Small Bowel Resections and Bariatric Surgery including Roux-Y Gastric Bypass, Adjustable Gastric Band, Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, Gastric Balloon and Revisional Procedures via a minimally invasive laparoscopic approach. These minimally invasive procedures reduce the time patients spend in the hospital, cutting recovery times, minimizing pain and providing far more cosmetically attractive results.
In addition, Dr. Akkary specializes in Cosmetic Surgery that includes Body Contouring for a comprehensive patient solution. His innovative cosmetic surgery procedures eliminate the need for general anesthesia, thus reducing patient recovery time, virtually eliminating the risk of hospital-acquired infections, and slashing patient costs.
Dr. Akkary has built his practice by building personal relationships with his clients, consistently receiving patient-voted awards for his dedicated and compassionate care. While some surgical practices might focus on high volume, Dr. Akkary carefully limits the number of clients he sees, because he believes in giving each his individualized attention. When patients come in, they always see me personally. They have my phone number and can reach me directly.
- Cosmetic Surgery
- Bariatric Surgery
- General Surgery
General Cosmetic Surgery - 2018
- Board Certified by the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery
- Board Certified by the American Board of Surgery
1) The 2nd award in the NOMC Research Forum, April 2005, North Oakland Medical Centers, Pontiac, MI. for the oral presentation: Intravenous Fluid Requirements in Laparoscopic Sigmoid Resection Compared to Open Sigmoid Resection.
2) The 1st award in the NOMC Research Forum, April 2005, North Oakland Medical Centers, Pontiac, MI. for the oral presentation: The Effect of One Comorbidity, Degenerative Joint Disease, on weight Loss after Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band.
3) The 3rd award in the NOMC Research Forum, April 2006, North Oakland Medical Centers, Pontiac, MI. for the oral presentation: Midterm Follow-up of One Co-morbidity, Degenerative Joint Disease on Weight Loss Following Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band.
4) The 2nd award in the NOMC Research Forum, April 2006, North Oakland Medical Centers, Pontiac, MI for the oral presentation: Colchicine Inhibits Pressure Induced Colon Cancer Cell Adhesion in a Mouse Tumor Model.
5) Research Recognition in NOMC Graduation, June 2006, North Oakland Medical Centers, Pontiac, MI for the research on the Support Groups Role in Weight Loss Post Laparoscopic Gastric Banding.
6) Resident Achievement Award from SAGES, June 2006.
7) Glenn A. Sanford Memorial Award for Excellence in Surgical Skills from NOMC, June 2007.
8) Resident Achievement Award from SAGES, June 2007.
9) Award For Honorable Mention Scientific Paper-General Surgery. From SLS for the oral presentation “Sutureless Laparoscopic Ventral Hernia Repair in Obese Patients” in the 17th SLS Annual Meeting and Endo Expo, Sept 17-20, 2008, Chicago, IL.
10) National Doctor’s Day Award for “Providing Extraordinary Patient’s Care” from West Virginia University, March 09. 11) “Best of Class” Award, 99th percentile rank in Press Ganey Database for 2008. From West Virginia University, April 2009.
12) Winner of National Doctor’s Day Award for “Providing extraordinary Patient’s care” from West Virginia University, March 2010.
13) Certificate of Recognition, Conference Faculty. 19th SLS Annual Meeting & Endo Expo 2010 Jointly with the ISGE Regional Meeting, September 2010, New York, NY.
14) Certificate of Recognition, Scientific Presentation. 19th SLS Annual Meeting & Endo Expo 2010 Jointly with the ISGE Regional Meeting, September 2010, New York, NY.
15) Patient Choice Award, American Registry. Ruby Memorial Hospital 2010
16) Compassionate Doctor Award, American Registry Ruby Memorial Hospital 2010
17) Patient Choice Award, American Registry Preston Memorial Hospital 2011
18) Compassionate Doctor Award, American Registry Preston Memorial Hospital 2011
19) Patient Choice Award, American Registry Preston Memorial Hospital 2012
20) Compassionate Doctor Award, American Registry Preston Memorial Hospital 2012
21) Plaque of Recognition, 2nd annual meeting, Egyptian Chapter of the American College of Surgeons, May 2013.
22) Patient Choice Award, American Registry Akkary Surgery Center, 2013
23) Compassionate Doctor Award, American Registry Akkary Surgery Center 2013
24) Patient Choice Award, American Registry, Akkary Surgery Center, 2014
25) Compassionate Doctor Award, American Registry Akkary Surgery Center 2014
26) On Time Physician Award, American Registry Akkary Surgery Center, 2014
27) Top 10 Doctor in WV Award, American Registry Akkary Surgery Center 2014
28) Faculty Certificate of Recognition. Conference Faculty. MIS Week, SLS Annual Meeting. New York, NY. September 2015
29) Faculty Certificate of Recognition. Scientific Presentation. 21mm Circular Stapling with Over sewing is associated with low incidence of Gastrojejunal Strictures. MIS Week, SLS Annual Meeting. New York, NY. September 2015
30) Award of Appreciation, The Egyptian Society for Bariatric Surgery (ESBS), 11th Annual Congress. Cairo, Egypt 2015
31) Compassionate Doctor Award, American Registry Akkary Surgery Center, 2015
32) Compassionate Doctor 5 Year Honoree. American Registry. Akkary Surgery Center, 2015
33) Patients’ Choice 5 Year Honoree. American Registry. Akkary Surgery Center, 2015
34) Patient Choice Award, American Registry, Akkary Surgery Center, 2015
35) On Time Physician Award, American Registry, Akkary Surgery Center, 2015
36) America’s Most Honored professionals 2016 – Top 1%. American Registry. Akkary Surgery Center, 2016
37) Compassionate Doctor Award, American Registry Akkary Surgery Center, 2016
38) America’s Most Honored professionals 2017 – Top 1%. American Registry. Akkary Surgery Center, 2017
39) Best of Morgantown 2017 awarded to Akkary Surgery Center. Morgantown Award Program 2017
40) America’s Most Honored Professionals 2018 – Top 1% American Registry. Akkary Surgery Center, 2018
41) On-Time Physician Award – 2018 American Registry. Akkary Surgery Center, 2018
42) Patients’ Choice 2018 American Registry. Akkary Surgery Center, 2018
43) Award of Appreciation The Egyptian Society for Bariatric Surgery (ESBS), 14th Annual Congress. Cairo, Egypt 2018
44) 2018 Doctor Choice Award in Cosmetic Surgery. doctorchoiceawards.org
45) 2018 Doctor Choice City Winner Award in Cosmetic Surgery. doctorchoiceawards.org
1] Omental Mass Secondary to Metastatic Breast Cancer. Elakkary E, Dwivedi A, Prakash S. Dig Dis Sci .49 (2), 2004: 308 -311.
2] Appendicocutaneous Fistula from a Carcinoid Tumor of the Appendix. Elhorr A, Dwivedi A, Elakkary E, Prakash S. Surgical Rounds. 27 (4), 2004: 176 -181.
3] Vaginal Leiomyoma. Elakkary E, Elhorr A, Kumar A. Surgical Rounds. 27 (8), 2004: 378 – 380.
4] Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band: Do Support Groups Add to the Weight Loss? Elakkary E, Gazayerli M. Obes Surg, September 2004, Vol 14, pages: 1139 – 1140.
5] Bowel Obstruction Secondary to Idiopathic Adhesions. Elakkary E, Dwivedi A, Elhorr A, Phan T. Dig Dis Sci. 49 (10), 2004: 1687.
6] Do Support Groups Play a Role in Weight Loss After Bariatric Surgery? Elakkary E, Elhorr A, Gazayerli M. SOARD. 1 (3), 2005: 262 (Abstract).
7] Enterocutaneous Fistula, a Rare Complication of Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band. Elakkary E, El Essawy D, Gazayerli M. Obes Surg. 15 (6), 2005: 897-900.
8] Inflammatory Myofibroblastic Tumor of the Small Bowel Mesentery Mimicking Ectopic Pregnancy. Elhorr A, Elakkary E, Bleibel W, Phan T. Surgical Rounds. 29 (1), 2006: 30-33.
9] Acute abdomen secondary to perforated ileal Diverticulitis. Elakkary E, Sincos I, Bolton S. Surgical Rounds. 29 (3), 2006: 125-127.
10] Do support groups play a role in weight loss after gastric banding? Elakkary E, Elhorr A, Aziz F, Gazayerli M, Silva Y. Obes Surg. 16 (3), 2006: 331-334.
11] A correlation between the shape of the epiglottis and obstructive sleep apnea. Gazayerli M, Bleibel W, Elhorr A, Elakkary E, Maxwell D, Seifeldin R. Surg Endosc. 20 (5), 2006: 836-837.
12] The Shape of The Epiglottis Reflects Improvement in Upper Airway Obstruction After Weight Loss. Gazayerli M, Bleibel W, Elhorr A, Elakkary E. Obes Surg 16 (7), 2006: 945-947.
13] Spiral Cystic Duct: Beware!! Elakkary E, Ching K, Jacobs, M. JSLS. 10(4), 2006: 514-516.
14] Endometrioma of the Large Bowel. Kanthimathinathan V, Elakkary E, Bleibel W, Kuwajerwala N, Conjeevarum S, Tootla F. Dig Dis Sci. 52 (3), 2007: 767 – 769.
15] Intravenous Fluid Requirements in Laparoscopic Sigmoid Resection Compared to Open Sigmoid Resection. Elakkary E, Elhorr A, Tootla F, Silva Y. Surgical Rounds. 30 (3), 2007: 141- 144.
16] Fibromyxoma of the Small Bowel Review Article. Chaku M, Elakkary E, El Sarraf F, Phan T. Dig Dis Sci. 52(5), 2007: 1150-1153.
17] Masters Allen Syndrome Review Article. Gupta R, Elakkary E, Sadek M, Lakra Y. Dig Dis Sci. 52(8), 2007: 1749-1751.
18] Surgical Technique For Gastric Band Placement. Gazayerli M, Adair J, Harvey KP, Elakkary E, Elhorr A. SOARD. 3(4), 2007: 488-489.
19] Recent Advances in the Surgical Treatment of Achalasia and Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. Elakkary E, Duffy A, Roberts K, Bell R. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2008, 42(5):603-609.
20] Deciphering The Sleeve: Technique, Indications, Efficacy And Safety Of Sleeve Gastrectomy. Akkary E, Duffy A, Bell R. Obes Surg. 2008 Oct (10):1323-1329.
21] Socioeconomic Predictors Of Weight Loss After Laparoscopic Roux-Y Gastric Bypass. Akkary E, Nerlinger A, Yu S, Dziura J, Duffy A, Bell R. Surg Endosc2009;23(6):1246-1251.
22] The Paradox Of The Pouch: Prompt Emptying Predicts Improved Weight Loss After Laparoscopic Roux-Y Gastric Bypass. Akkary E, Sidani S, Boonsiri J, Yu S, Dziura J, Duffy A, Bell R. Surg Endosc 2009;23(4):790-4.
23] The Role of Haptic Feedback in Laparoscopic Simulation Training. Panait L, Akkary E, Bell RL, Roberts KE, Dudrick SJ, Duffy AJ. J Surg Res 2009;156(2):312-316.
24] Current Surgical Treatments of Gastgroesophageal Reflux Disease. Martin L, Caranasos T, Akkary E. European Gastroenterology and Hepatology Review. 2009;5:7-10.
25] The Role of Endoscopy in the Treatment of Obesity: Current and Future Concepts. Kupec J, Goebel S, Akkary E. Practical Gastro. 33(11), 2009:29-36
26] Retained Sponge, is it Still a Problem in Current Surgical Practice? Akkary E, Singer D, Holloway D. Journal of Abdominal Surgery Winter2009/Spring 2010.
27] Superior Mesenteric Artery Aneurysm, uncommon Disease with Potentially Serious Complications. Review Article. Akkary E, Cramer T, Patel M, Kanthimathinathan V, Phan T. WV Medical Journal. 2010; 106:10-14.
28] Appendicitis After Appendectomy? Case Report and Literature Review. Akkary E, Sadek M, Phan T. WV Medical Journal. 2010; 106:28-31
29] Survey of the Effective Exercise Habits of the Formerly Obese. Akkary E, Cramer T, Chaar C, Rajput K, Yu S, Dziura J, Roberts K, Duffy A, Bell R. JSLS. 2010;14(1):106-114.
30] Routine Upper Endoscopy Before Bariatric Surgery. Would it Influence the Surgical Plan? Akkary E, Koay J, Jaramillo C, Brusatin O, Vona-Davis L, Gazayerli M. (in process).
31] Retroperitoneal Myoma And Chronic Pelvic Pain. Case report and literature review. Lukanova M, Akkary E, Popov Y, Stoykov D, Nikolova M. Gynecol Surg. 2010; 7(4): 369.
32] Achalasia. Kusti M, Caranasos T, Jan A, Kupec C, Akkary E US Gastroenterology & Hepatology Review, 2010;6:11–16
33] Sutureless Laparoscopic Ventral Hernia Repair in Obese Patients. Akkary E, Panait L, Roberts K, Duffy A, Bell R. JSLS. 2011;15(2):154-159.
34] Recent Advances in Minimally Invasive Hernia Repair. Akkary E. (in process)
35] Bariatric Surgery Evolution from the Malabsorptive to the Hormonal Era. Akkary E. Obes Surg. 2012;22(5):827-31
36] Catastrophic Bleeding from a Marginal Ulcer after Gastric Bypass. Management And Literature Review. Sidani S, Akkary E, Bell R. JSLS. 2013;17(1):148-51
37] Subcutaneous placement of Lap Band Port without fascial fixation provides safe and durable access. Akkary E, Olgers F. Obes Surg2014 May 14. [Epub ahead of print]. 2015; 24 (11): 1987-1991
38] A Second Opinion on Gastric Banding. Letter to the Editor. Shayani V. Akkary E. Bagnato J et al. General Surgery News. July 10, 2017
39] Purified Polydimethylsiloxane (Silicone) as Dermal Filler Resolving the Controversy? Akkary A. Shumway R. Barnett J. AJCS August 2018. E-pub ahead of print
Books & Book Chapters:
1] USMLE Step 2CS. Pre-Exam Fast Review, published September 2011. ESBN 978-0-9839178-0-9
2] Gastric Bypass: Surgical Procedures, Health Effects and Common Complications, NOVA publishers. 2010. ISBN 978-1-60876-698-7. Chapter V. Bariatric Surgery: From Historical Procedures to Hormonal Operations, pp. 119-138
3] Anti-Obesity Drug Discovery and Development, Bentham Science Publishers. Chapter: Pharmacological Approach for Obesity Page 67-81. ISSN: 2210-2698 eISBN: 978-1-60805-163-2, 2011