About The Practice
After completing a highly respected ASOPRS Oculofacial plastic & Reconstructive Surgery fellowship at the Stein Eye Institute at UCLA Medical Center Dr. Schwarcz completed another year of facial cosmetic surgery training in Santa Monica, CA. After completing his training Dr. Schwarcz practiced for several years in the Los Angeles area and then moved back to his native New York. He served as Chief/Director of the Oculofacial plastic surgery Division at the Montefiore Medical Center Albert Einstein College of Medicine. Since leaving that position he enjoys his private practice on the upper east side of Manhattan as well as a satellite presence in Scarsdale NY. Dr. Schwarcz regularly teaches and has appointment at Mount Sinai Medical Center as well as New York Eye & Ear infirmary. Dr. Schwarcz is highly respected by his colleagues as is evident by his being honored in NY magazine best doctors list for the past 4 years in a row as well as being elected to castle connolly’s nationwide best doctors list.
Dr. Schwarcz has specific expertise in blepharoplasty, upper and lower eyelids, facelift surgery, necklift, chemical peels, fillers, botox, fat grfating browlifting, midfacelift and rhinoplasty. Dr. Schwarcz also has expertise in correcting eyelid malpositions after previous surgery.
Facial Cosmetic Surgery - 2007
Americal Board of Cosmetic Surgery
American Board of Cosmetic Facial Surgery
American Society of Oculofacial Plastic & Reconstructive surgery
American Board Of Ophthalmology
Fellow, American Society of Oculofacial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Fellow, American Academy of Cosmetic surgery
Fellow. American Academy of Ophthalmology
Fellow, American College of Surgeons
Fellowship in Facial Plastic Surgery/ Cosmetic Surgery Beverly Hills, CA & Santa Monica, CA
Preceptor: Ronald W. Strahan, MD
UCLA Medical Center/Jules Stein Eye Institute Los Angeles, CA
Fellow in OculoFacial Plastic Surgery -ASOPRS Accredited
Preceptors: Robert A. Goldberg, MD, FACS, Norman Shorr, MD, FACS
SUNY Downstate Medical Center Brooklyn, New York
Residency in Ophthalmology
- Elected Administrative Chief Resident
- Resident of the year
St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital/University Hospital of Columbia University New York, NY
Howard University College of Medicine Washington, D.C.
New York University Medical Center New York, NY
Preceptor: J. Thorbecke, M.D.,Ph.D., Department of Immunology/Pathology
American academy of Ophthalmology achievement award
Castle Connolly best Doctors
New York Magazines Best Doctors list
Surgical ATeacher of the year Monitefiore Medical Center 2009, 2014
- Kotlus B, Schwarcz RM Management of post blepharoplasty Lower eyelid Retraction. Clinics in Plastic Surgery in press 2014
- Bloom RI, Schwarcz RM, Zhang C, Rosenberg JB. A case of congenital myofibroma of the orbit presenting at birth.
Orbit. 2013 Feb;32(1):33-5.
- Schwarcz, RM Complications of Lower eyelid Blepharoplasty and Midface Lifting. Clinics in Plastic Surgery in press 2014
- Elman S, Pointdujour R, Blaydon S, Nakra T, Schwarcz RM Periocular Abscesses Following Brow Epilation. OPRS 2012 Vol28(6)434-438.
- Schwarcz RM, Coupland S, Finger PT, Cancer of the Orbit and Adnexa. Am J of Clin Oncol. 2013 Apr;36(2):197-205
- Schwarcz RM, Patel R. Complications in Midfacelifting Chapter 20: Midfacial Rejuvenation, edited by Drs. Morris E. Hartstein and David E. E. Holck. Springer Science+Business Media, 2012 (p235-245).
- Sokol JA, Schwarcz RM. A Better Way to Repair Torn Earlobes Using a Modified Z-Plasty. Dermatol Surg.2011 Oct;37(10):1506-8.
- Victoria AC, Chuck RS, Rosenberg J, Schwarcz RM. Timing of Eyelid Surgery in the Setting of refractive surgery: preoperative and postoperative considerations. Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2011 Jul;22(4):226-32. Review
- Kotlus BS, Schwarcz RM. Malar Festoons: Anatomy and treatment strategies. American Journal Cosmetic Surgery 2011 Volume 27 (1) .
- Kotlus BS, Schwarcz RM. Re: Eyelid tightening and improved aperture through nonablative fractional resurfacing. Dermatol Surg. 2009 Jul; 35(7):1158-9.
- Nakhla T, Horowitz MK, Schwarcz, RM. Bilateral Melolabial Advancement Flap for Dorsal Nasal Defects. Dermatol. Surgery. 2009 Feb;35(2):253-6..
- Nakhla T. Awadalla F, Horowitz D., Schwarcz, RM. Cerclage Technique for Repairing Large Circular Defects of the Trunk: Staged Excision of a Plexiform Neurofibroma. Dermatol Surgery. Dermatol. Surg. 2008 Jul;34(7):939-43.
- Ben Simon GJ, Seongmu L, Schwarcz RM, McCann JD, Goldberg RA. Mullers Muscle-Conjunctival Resection for Correction of Upper Eyelid Ptosis. Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2007:9(6).413-7.
- Schwarcz RM. Techniques in Midfacelifting. Facial Plastic Surgery, Aug 2007:23(3):174-180
- Schwarcz RM, Lee S, Goldberg RA, Ben Simon GJ. Modified conjuntivoplasty for upper lacrimal system obstruction. Archives Facial Plast Surg. 2007;9:96-100.
- Kirby W, Horowitz M, Schwarcz RM, Horowitz D, Nakhla T. Closure of a Large Scalp Defect after Mohs Surgery with Galeotomy Assistance. Journal of the American Osteopathic College of Dermatology, Feb 2006:5(1):45-8.
- Leibovitch I, Schwarcz RM, Modjtahedi S, Selva D, Goldberg RA. Orbital Invasion by recurrent maxillary ameloblastoma. Ophthalmology 2006 113(7):1227-30
- Ela-Dalman N, Schwarcz RM, Velez FG. Suture fixation system as globe tethers in severe paralytic strabismus. J AAPOS 2006 Aug;10(4):371-2.
- Ben Simon GJ, Syed H, Douglas R, Schwarcz R, Goldberg RA, McCann JD. Clinical manifestations and treatment outcome of optic neuropathy in thyroid related orbitopathy. Ophhalmic Surg Lasers Imaging 2006 Jul-Aug;37(4):284-90.
- Nakra T, Ben Simon GJ, Douglas RS, Schwarcz RM, Goldberg RA, McCann JD. Comparing Outcomes of Enucleation and Evisceration. Ophthalmology 2006 Dec accepted
- Ben Simon GJ, Syed AM, Seongmu L, Schwarcz RM, McCann JD, Goldberg RA. Strabismus after Deep Lateral Wall Orbital Decompression in Thyroid Related Orbitopathy Patients Using Automated Hess Screen. Ophthalmology 2006 113(6):1050-5.
- Ben Simon GJ, Seongmu L, Schwarcz RM, McCann JD, Goldberg RA. Subperiosteal midface lift with or without hard palate graft for correction of lower eyelid retraction. Ophthalmology 2006 113(10):1869-73.
- Ben Simon GJ, Syed H, Douglas R, Schwarcz R, Goldberg RA, McCann JD. Clinical manifestations and treatment outcome of optic neuropathy in thyroid related orbitopathy. Accepted for publication in Ophthalmic Surgery Lasers & Imaging.
- Schwarcz RM, Ben Simon GJ, Cook T., Goldberg RA: Sclerosing Therapy as First Line Treatment For Low Flow Vascular Lesions of The Orbit. Am J Ophthalmol. 2006 Feb: 141(2):333-339.
- Ben Simon GJ, Macedo AA, Schwarcz RM, Wang DY, McCann JD, Goldberg RA: Frontalis suspension for upper eyelid ptosis: evaluation of different surgical designs and suture material. Am J Ophthalmol. 2005 Nov: 140 (5):877-85.
- Ben Simon GJ, Lee S, Schwarcz RM, McCann JD, Goldberg RA: External Levator Advancement vs Muller’s Muscle-Conjunctival Resection for Correction of Upper Eyelid Involutional Ptosis. Am J Ophthalmol. 2005 Sep;140(3):426-32.
- Ben Simon GJ, Joseph J, Lee S, Schwarcz RM, McCann JD, Goldberg RA: External versus endoscopic dacryocystorhinostomy for acquired nasolacrimal duct obstruction in a tertiary referral center. Ophthalmology. 2005 Aug;112(8):1463-8.
- Ben Simon GJ, Mansury AM, Schwarcz RM, Lee S, McCann JD, Goldberg RA: Simultaneous Orbital Decompression and Correction of Upper Eyelid Retraction versus Staged Procedures in Thyroid Related Orbitopathy. Ophthalmology 2005 May;112:923-932.
- Ben Simon GJ, Blaydon SM, Schwarcz RM, Nakra T, Goldberg RA, McCann JD: Paradoxical Use of Frontalis Muscle and the Possible Role of Botulinum A Toxin in Permanent Motor Relearning. Ophthalmology 2005 May;112:918-922.
- Ben Simon GJ, Huang L, Nakra T, Schwarcz RM, McCann JD, Goldberg RA: Intralesional Triamcinolone Acetonide Injection for Primary and Recurrent Chalazia: Is It Really Safe? Ophthalmology 2005 May;112:913-917.
- Ben Simon GJ, Schwarcz RM, Douglas R, Fiaschetti D., McCann JD, Goldberg RA: Orbital exenteration:one size does not fit all. Am J Ophthalmol. 2005 Jan;139(1):11-7
- Schwarcz RM, Shorr N: Oculoplastics and Orbit (Essentials in Ophthalmology) by Guthoff (Ed), A. Katowitz (Ed) Chapter entitled: The SOOF Lift in Midface Reconstruction and Rejuvination. Springer; 1 edition (July, 2005) , ISBN: 3540225994
- Ben Simon GJ, Mansury A, Schwarcz RM, Modjtahedi S, McCann JD, Goldberg RA: Trans-conjunctival Muller’s Muscle Recession With Levator Disinsertion For Correction of Thyroid Related Orbitopathy Associated Eyelid Retraction. Am J Ophthalmol. 2005 Jul;140(1):94-9
- Ben Simon GJ, Schwarcz RM, Mansouri A etal: Minimally invasive orbital decompression: Local anesthesia and hand carved bone. Archives of Ophthalmology Accepted September 2004
- Schwarcz RM, Goldberg RA, Shorr N: A New Paradigm of Surgical Management of the Atonic Face. American Journal of Cosmetic Surgery. May 2005
- Ben Simon GJ, Schwarcz RM, Douglas RS, etal: Orbital exenteration one size does not fit all. Am J Ophthalmol. 2005 Jan;139(1):11-7.
- Ben Simon GJ, Molina M, Schwarcz RM, etal: External (subciliary) vs Internal transconjunctival involutional entropion repair. Am J of Ophthalmol;Mar 139:482-7.
- Ben Simon GJ, Hassan S, Schwarcz, RM: Clinical manifestations and treatment outcome of optic neuropathy in thyroid related orbitopathy: Presented Abstract To ARVO 2/2004
- Schwarcz RM, Shorr N, Douglas RS, Goldberg RA: Three Suture Technique Addresses Involutional Entropion repair in office. Ocular Surgery News. Feb 2004.
- Schwarcz RM, Dweck MM, Shah H: Time Release Liposomal Encapsulation of Phenylephrine Hydrochloride for Purposes of Limited Ptosis Correction. Presented Abstarct To ARVO 2/2003
- Thorbecke GJ, Schwarcz RM, Leu J, Huang C, Simmons WJ: Modulation by cytokines of induction of oral tolerance to type II collagen. Arthritis & Rheumatism 1999;42(1):110-118.
- Hochwald GM, Schwarcz RM, Huang C, Bhogal BS, & Thorbecke GJ: “Effect of immunization with beta-trace protein on testosterone levels in animals,” In: Recent Advances in Prostaglandin, Thromboxane, & Leukotriene Research: Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology. Plenum Press 1997;Chapter 433:355-358.
There are not any reviews available at this time.