What is feminine rejuvenation?
Feminine rejuvenation procedures reduce, reshape or tighten female genital tissues to help restore a firmer tone and/or a more youthful, symmetrical appearance. Patients choose feminine rejuvenation for cosmetic reasons as well as to improve comfort and alleviate problems caused by vaginal tissue laxity, such as painful intercourse or stress urinary incontinence.
How can feminine rejuvenation help me?
Sagging, overly large, or misshapen labia can cause considerable discomfort when wearing certain clothing or exercising, as well as interfere with a woman’s self-confidence. Loss of vaginal tone following childbearing or menopause can lead to issues such as urinary leakage, vaginal dryness, and painful or dissatisfying sexual intercourse.
Feminine rejuvenation can address these issues by restoring a more normal tone and appearance to the vagina and labia. The appropriate procedure, performed by an experienced, board certified cosmetic surgeon, can achieve one or more of the following:
- Help tight clothing and swimsuits fit more comfortably
- Reduce or eliminate stress urinary incontinence
- Alleviate vaginal dryness
- Improve sensation during sex for a patient and her partner
- Provide cosmetic improvements to the genitals
Choosing a cosmetic surgeon
The single most important decision you will make when considering feminine rejuvenation is who will perform your procedure. Surgical procedures such as labiaplasty require highly specialized training and skills to ensure your safety and achieve a successful outcome. Even non-surgical feminine rejuvenation procedures require special training and should only be performed by a highly experienced, licensed medical provider—don’t have these treatments at a spa or other practice without a qualified physician supervising.
Always check a cosmetic surgeon’s credentials before agreeing to have surgery. Choosing a cosmetic surgeon who is board certified by the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery is a good place to start; ABCS diplomates have undergone a minimum of 1 to 2 years of cosmetic surgery training post-residency and exclusively operate in accredited surgical facilities.
Cosmetic surgeons perform both surgical and non-surgical procedures to restore tone, improve appearance, and improve function of vaginal tissues.
Labiaplasty is a surgical procedure and is typically the most appropriate procedure to treat the following:
- Overly large or misshapen labia
- Moderate to severe sagging in labial tissues
- Significant cosmetic issues that bother a patient
Labiaplasty is an outpatient procedure, typically performed using general anesthesia. Small incisions are made in the labia majora, labia minora, or both, excess tissue is removed, the remaining tissue tightened and shaped to restore symmetry, and incisions are closed with sutures.
Recovery is relatively straightforward for most patients. Discomfort after surgery is typically mild and easily controlled with over-the-counter or prescription pain medication. Patients typically return to work within 3 to 5 days and resume exercise within 2 to 3 weeks. Sexual intercourse is permitted after about one month.
Results of labiaplasty are long-lasting. Although labial tissues may begin to sag again due to normal age-related changes, this is usually mild in comparison to what patients would have experienced without surgery.
Other Vaginal Rejuvenation Surgery Options
In addition to labiaplasty, select cosmetic surgeons are experienced in and perform other specialized vaginal rejuvenation procedures:
- Vaginoplasty: surgically tightens loose or stretched vaginal muscles. Results can last for many years; best suited for women who do not plan to have more children
- Clitoral hood reduction: removes excess tissue over the clitoris to improve sexual experiences and/or alleviate discomfort caused by an enlarged clitoral hood.
- Mons pubis reduction: removes excess fat and skin from the mons pubis to restore a more streamlined appearance to the pelvic area.
Non-surgical vaginal rejuvenation treatments provide women with an alternative to surgery that achieves results nearly as quickly, if not for as long. These treatments use highly focused energy, either radiofrequency or laser, to invoke tissue contraction and promote collagen production in the vulvovaginal tissues.
Current FDA-cleared non-surgical feminine rejuvenation treatments include ThermiVA, FemiLift and FemiTight. All are essentially non-invasive—no incisions, tissue ablation, or needles are involved, although certain treatments use an instrument that is inserted internally (much like a transvaginal ultrasound device).
Benefits of non-surgical feminine rejuvenation
- Treatments typically take less than 15 minutes to perform
- Many patients notice significant improvements within 1 to 2 days after treatment, which continue to improve with time
- No downtime is needed; even sexual intercourse can be resumed the same day
- Results can last up to 1 year before another round of treatments are needed
- Can significantly improve:
- Stress urinary incontinence
- Vaginal dryness
- Pain during intercourse
- Sexual pleasure for patient and partner
Non-surgical vaginal rejuvenation can be a great option for women suffering the effects of vaginal atrophy; however, it is not an optimal solution for every patient. Limitations include:
- Multiple treatments are typically needed for optimal results
- Results are temporary, lasting up to 1 year
- May not be effective to treat significant tissue laxity or severely sagging labia
Get more information about feminine rejuvenation
When performed by a highly qualified provider, feminine rejuvenation procedures can help a woman feel more comfortable and confident in her body, enhancing many aspects of her life. The best way to learn more is to meet with a board certified cosmetic surgeon for a consultation. You can find qualified cosmetic surgeons in your area by using our ABCS Find-a-Surgeon tool.